Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Robs Leyland Mini S

4 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Robs Leyland Mini S - Page 2 Empty Re: Robs Leyland Mini S

Post  benjamin 24th January 2014, 11:03

Happy Birthday ! , how is the mini progressing?
benjamin
benjamin

Back to top Go down

Post  norm74 28th January 2014, 06:58

thank you. my birthday was great. got some things to help me with my rebuild. was flatout doing other things over Xmas, just to about to start building a rotisserie for my car as i have to redo the boot. should start that next weekend.

hows the shed going, have you found out the you have more stuff than you thought  Very Happy i did that with mine shed
norm74
norm74

Back to top Go down

Post  benjamin 28th January 2014, 11:52

norm74 wrote:thank you. my birthday was great. got some things to help me with my rebuild. was flatout doing other things over Xmas, just to about to start building a rotisserie for my car as i have to redo the boot. should start that next weekend.

hows the shed going, have you found out the you have more stuff than you thought  Very Happy i did that with mine shed

Good good im keen to see some more of your work!

Yeah the shed was filled straight away , but I am sorting and building shelves and benches to fix the issue  Smile 
benjamin
benjamin

Back to top Go down

Post  turbo this.. 15th March 2014, 12:16

looks good mate
what sort of IC core is that? should flow good by the look of it with little pressure drop
turbo this..
turbo this..

Back to top Go down

Post  norm74 17th March 2014, 07:55

the IC is a nissan 180sx cooler. i unpicked the end tanks and made up my own. to place the inlet and outlet pipes where i want them. you can get them cheap.

update on my car, (i'll try and get some pics up soon). mounted the car on a rotissire to flip it over. i found a heap of rust in the boot and the lower rear seat area, im in the process of stripping the car of the underbody paint etc, a guy at my work has a sandblaster to do cars and machinery etc so i will get it over to him as soon as possible. I'll take it back to bare metal and fix all the small areas of rust while im at it.
norm74
norm74

Back to top Go down

Post  benjamin 17th March 2014, 12:16

norm74 wrote:the IC is a nissan 180sx cooler. i unpicked the end tanks and made up my own. to place the inlet and outlet pipes where i want them. you can get them cheap.

update on my car, (i'll try and get some pics up soon). mounted the car on a rotissire to flip it over. i found a heap of rust in the boot and the lower rear seat area, im in the process of stripping the car of the underbody paint etc, a guy at my work has a sandblaster to do cars and machinery etc so i will get it over to him as soon as possible. I'll take it back to bare metal and fix all the small areas of rust while im at it.

If you look through my pics mine was rusting in that rear seat section too, must be a common spot.

sanblasting shows it up nicely .

looking forward to pics and updates  Smile 
benjamin
benjamin

Back to top Go down

Post  turbo this.. 23rd March 2014, 13:46

be where when you go looking for rust in any car u may get carried away and also find a bunch more than expected!
turbo this..
turbo this..

Back to top Go down

Post  norm74 24th April 2014, 12:04

ive been stripping some paint off my mini and found out the at one stage in its life its been hit in the arse around the boot and it has some rust holes around the tail lights bottom of the boot opening, also its been hit in the front too  Shocked  someone has cut out the area wear the number plate bolts to, and  welded in another peice but pretty badly, also both front quaters panels have ripples in them above the headlights and there were heaps of bog in and around the headlights,  
also found the  front subframe tower on the passenger side is really rooted its cracked the two welds and has lifted up, so i dont know how long that was like that but im replacing them so im lucky i guess

so like many mini owners, i have a spare shell sitting at my parents house  Very Happy 

its a 73' model clubman with hydro, so im going to use this shell instead, its in way better nick and the areas i do have to repair are really small, the floors are in very good codition, boot as well,

here are some pics of the old shell and the new shell on the trailer

Robs Leyland Mini S - Page 2 20140411

ive already put a new back end on the shell im going to use.
Robs Leyland Mini S - Page 2 Pb040212

subframe  Shocked 
Robs Leyland Mini S - Page 2 20140311

front quaters
Robs Leyland Mini S - Page 2 Pb040210

rear boot area
Robs Leyland Mini S - Page 2 Pb040211

front panel that weld is pretty deep it had lots of bog in it
Robs Leyland Mini S - Page 2 Pb040110
norm74
norm74

Back to top Go down

Post  benjamin 25th April 2014, 11:01

That second shell is a ton beter , the front of your is so beaten up !!!
benjamin
benjamin

Back to top Go down

Post  norm74 26th April 2014, 09:27

yeah i know, it my first car so im like i still want to keep it. i could repair it but the cost/time that out weighs it.

im getting this shell blasted so i can start off fresh. there are only a few small areas that i have to fix, while im at it i will strengthen the hydro subframes front and rear, to the spec vizard gives in his book.

then rebuild them with new bushes etc,
norm74
norm74

Back to top Go down

Post  norm74 2nd May 2014, 09:29

got a few new pics of the new shell im going to use. panels are good small areas to fix. also a pic of the hydro frames i will use.

Robs Leyland Mini S - Page 2 20140412

Robs Leyland Mini S - Page 2 20140413

Robs Leyland Mini S - Page 2 20140414

Robs Leyland Mini S - Page 2 20140414

Robs Leyland Mini S - Page 2 20140415

when i first got the car and replaced the rear panel
Robs Leyland Mini S - Page 2 Dsc03410

Robs Leyland Mini S - Page 2 House_10

Robs Leyland Mini S - Page 2 House_11

Robs Leyland Mini S - Page 2 House_12

Robs Leyland Mini S - Page 2 House_13

norm74
norm74

Back to top Go down

Post  benjamin 4th May 2014, 11:37

what was the original purpose for the second shell?

not much at all to finish on it  Smile 
benjamin
benjamin

Back to top Go down

Post  norm74 5th May 2014, 11:58

was going to keep it and make it into a mock up clubman GT sliver with orange stripes. big motor etc, i was going to de seam it but im glad i didnt start doing that.

hows your car going
norm74
norm74

Back to top Go down

Post  benjamin 6th May 2014, 13:36

norm74 wrote:was going to keep it and make it into a mock up clubman GT sliver with orange stripes. big motor etc, i was going to de seam it but im glad i didnt start doing that.

hows your car going

pffft big motor hha , small bore turbo you will enjoy much more Smile 

Yeah i prefer the seamed look over de-seemed , it gives the car its character.

I have done nothing on mine except move it around the garage  Embarassed 
benjamin
benjamin

Back to top Go down

Post  turbo this.. 21st August 2014, 13:59

those seams look like mine all nasty ive put off doing mine as i dont know the best way to address it lol

project looks good tho mate
turbo this..
turbo this..

Back to top Go down

Post  norm74 29th August 2014, 13:03

when i do mine i'll take pics and tell you how they go. i shouldn't be hard to do just time consuming. ive started on one side and have found the panel is quite thin as the guy before did a bad repair,, im just waiting on my hand folder to bend some sheet up and then i'll get stuck into it.

thanks about the car. Very Happy
norm74
norm74

Back to top Go down

Post  turbo this.. 26th December 2014, 08:09

ugh just looked at mine again (i try not to look at the rusty bits) where are you guys getting panels from and is it a big dollar thing to get them to the front door?

ive tossed up de seaming the car a few times now but passed it off due to it changing the look a lot and taking the "mini" out of the car
turbo this..
turbo this..

Back to top Go down

Post  benjamin 28th December 2014, 09:44

turbo this.. wrote:ugh just looked at mine again (i try not to look at the rusty bits) where are you guys getting panels from and is it a big dollar thing to get them to the front door?

ive tossed up de seaming the car a few times now but passed it off due to it changing the look a lot and taking the "mini" out of the car

I got mine form minisport adelaide they are pretty resonable for panels and shipping.

Karcraft in sydney may also have panels and may be cheaper but im not sure if they have the correct floorpans like minisport does.
benjamin
benjamin

Back to top Go down

Post  norm74 30th December 2014, 04:08

ive got them for minispares in S.A,  also cooper S imports in Vic has panels as well there website doesnt have all of them sometimes you will have to ring them,
dont deseam your car, unless you are good at body work. ive seen some really bad deseam jobs in the past, also if you ever get hit in the front or you need to remove the panel you have to cut and and redo all that work, deseam car can look good, the deseamed sides and with the roof gutter left look good but its alot of work.

on another topic ive started to to collect more tools shrinker/strecther, pipe notcher, 600mm pan brake, so its been no work on the mini yet, also got my self a new job (tig welding race cars) so ive been flat out busy doing all these other things. so i need to get back to the mini after the holidays
norm74
norm74

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2