Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thoughts on 1400+cc on road

4 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 Empty Re: Thoughts on 1400+cc on road

Post  braad 14th April 2015, 05:36

The pictures i quickly took today after the mini was dropped off to the magicians at AGI engineering for the rollcage work. I'm quite happy with the shell condition! From other shells i have seen, this one is solid but just a bit rough in some areas

Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 ThsKAV
Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 4hIkh4
Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 A04sp2
Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 ZeD1rq
Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 NS8Lhp
Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 MCyaft
Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 Bxywh8
Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 SWVYXw
Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 2TXYG0
Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 7muw49
Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 DtVKuJ
Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 FVNxs8
Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 NJSJLJ
Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 IuKnhY
Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 KkTgGB
Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 LufEsq
Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 6PG9ov
Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 KIZqBh
Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 0ZYgSk
Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 4O8QZR
braad
braad

Back to top Go down

Post  braad 14th April 2015, 05:39

I need to find a measurement for the centre of the seat so they can align the harness eyes up. However i don't have a seat and need to buy them (no idea where to go for that, any help? need to be high back buckets with ability to run a harness and regular seatbelts). It was said before that the steering wheel doesn't centre with the standard seating position. This is where i need some help, am i going to want/be able to mount the seat so it lines up with the steering wheel, or is it not worth it?

I need some external door hinges, is there anyone in the sydney area i could borrow some/a set from so AGI can mount the doors? I have scrounged up 3 randoms but dont know if they are top or bottom or left or right hinges. The guys want to tuck this cage as close as they can to maximise space and need to throw the doors on (my doors dont have pockets either, they were trimmed a while ago.

last final few photos to chuck up as it stands...

Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 0YGkFr
Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 ALLnRu
Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 12FXTW
Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 RoE6ab
Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 ZevCTq
braad
braad

Back to top Go down

Post  benjamin 28th April 2015, 11:30

braad wrote:I need to find a measurement for the centre of the seat so they can align the harness eyes up. However i don't have a seat and need to buy them (no idea where to go for that, any help? need to be high back buckets with ability to run a harness and regular seatbelts). It was said before that the steering wheel doesn't centre with the standard seating position. This is where i need some help, am i going to want/be able to mount the seat so it lines up with the steering wheel, or is it not worth it?

I need some external door hinges, is there anyone in the sydney area i could borrow some/a set from so AGI can mount the doors? I have scrounged up 3 randoms but dont know if they are top or bottom or left or right hinges. The guys want to tuck this cage as close as they can to maximise space and need to throw the doors on (my doors dont have pockets either, they were trimmed a while ago.

Are you going fixed buckets ?

Centering the steering wheel may limit you passenger seat too much but is something that you would have to measure with the seats you are going to run. You could also maybe use some uni-joints too offset the steering wheel?

benjamin
benjamin

Back to top Go down

Post  braad 15th May 2015, 07:47

benjamin wrote:
braad wrote:I need to find a measurement for the centre of the seat so they can align the harness eyes up. However i don't have a seat and need to buy them (no idea where to go for that, any help? need to be high back buckets with ability to run a harness and regular seatbelts). It was said before that the steering wheel doesn't centre with the standard seating position. This is where i need some help, am i going to want/be able to mount the seat so it lines up with the steering wheel, or is it not worth it?

Are you going fixed buckets ?

Centering the steering wheel may limit you passenger seat too much but is something that you would have to measure with the seats you are going to run. You could also maybe use some uni-joints too offset the steering wheel?

I sure am going fixed back, well.... i have. i will go and update this thread

So looked around for ages for seats and compared sizes, etc. Sydney minis lent me a spare Velo Milano XL, but after sitting in it for 40 minutes i ended up with sore hips as it was too tight. After tha i went and bought two Velo GPT-2's and whipped them over to Adam at AGI in Peakhurst.

heres a photo of a Velo Milano ext to a GPT-2
Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 EeLRI4

the Velo Milano XL that i borrowed
Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 Xb4uCT

thanks to that trial of the ill-fitting milano i went and ordered two GPT-2s. I ordered a set from the same batch as the yellow they use on their branding can differ from yellow to orangey, and my OCD wouldnt cope.

Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 KGfVDe
Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 I5Z3dl

I got a measurement of 1140mm of a mates mini between the B-pillars, so with that in mind i sat the two seats in that measurement and ended up with an overlap

Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 JQg0Sd
Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 FJIntW

braad
braad

Back to top Go down

Post  braad 15th May 2015, 07:57

first stage of the rollcage. When i dropped the seats over and found a position. Fortunately i'm that tall that the seat wings are behind the B-pillar and that extra width enables the seats to sit side by side unmodified.

Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 KmnODT

Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 CFOZoS

Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 9sv5bc

Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 WYuoeC

Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 IZ0Z6E

Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 IdersL

The completed rollcage on the jig before painting

Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 MbxqD0

just sent this pic of the cage all painted assembled for checking

Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 H54sku

braad
braad

Back to top Go down

Post  braad 15th May 2015, 07:58

So with the help of my brother and couple of mates we got the car back home yesterday. Roll cage is complete! I really couldnt help myself but i had to dummy the seats up

Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 K7Yq27
Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 XYi8gJ
Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 9j69E8
Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 G88XyC
Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 Ew3kth
Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 RKEw1z
Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 XqIOzZ
Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 LoWWOK
Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 UgP6o9

you can see how much space there is with the seats...

Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 F87ljb
Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 MVMkJU
braad
braad

Back to top Go down

Post  braad 16th May 2015, 16:29

So got a few goodies today

Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 PH2Xpl

Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 Tbwg9g

Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 EAq5bh

And this little beauty will be helping the rear trailing arms

Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 4rjPq6

every millimetre counts! Since the picture below was taken we have shrunk that gap further...

Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 6b47En
braad
braad

Back to top Go down

Post  benjamin 19th May 2015, 06:40

Roll cage is very nice !!! they have done a really nice job . Those trailing arm adjusters I have similar on my BMW e30 . Was a kit I bought and welded in around $100 for memory .
benjamin
benjamin

Back to top Go down

Post  Boostedmini 19th May 2015, 07:17

Cage is a good fit, I bet that cost a few pennies.

have you confirm the engine build specs yet?

I ad a 84mm crank in my car for a while and I must admit the torque it had was awesome, its surprising how the capacity increase made such a difference.

maybe the next engine I build I might put that crank back in and see how it goes this time around now with the new turbo, ignition, intercooler, Quaife etc are fitted.
Boostedmini
Boostedmini

Back to top Go down

Post  braad 26th May 2015, 02:44

benjamin wrote:Roll cage is very nice !!! they have done a really nice job . Those trailing arm adjusters I have similar on my BMW e30 . Was a kit I bought and welded in around $100 for memory .

Yeah the cage is lovely. It has been well received by all who have seen it. I now need to build the rest of the car to the same level!

Yeah the camber pin idea is simple, but it will be interesting to see it on the rear trailing arms. It will also be used on the front (already welded in)
braad
braad

Back to top Go down

Post  braad 26th May 2015, 02:51

Boostedmini wrote:Cage is a good fit, I bet that cost a few pennies.

I ad a 84mm crank in my car for a while and I must admit the torque it had was awesome, its surprising how the capacity increase made such a difference.

maybe the next engine I build I might put that crank back in and see how it goes this time around now with the new turbo, ignition, intercooler, Quaife etc are fitted.

It did cost a fair few pennies. I just keep reminding people that its more expensive to mod a bigger car so its easier to deal with. I was looking at selling my XR5T and buying a BF GT, there was a 10k changeover and then the supercharger kit i wanted was a further 10k. That money is now going to the mini.

Not sure on engine specs, i know it has an old isky cam & followers, has an unmodified 12g295 on it. Im thinking it might need a trip to Graham Russell to mod the head and set it up. The engine isnt something i have worried about yet, but i will see if i can get whatever specs my mate remembers.

Thats a great idea for your crank. Would be a great engine. Maybe chuck it on e85 whilst you're at it
braad
braad

Back to top Go down

Post  benjamin 26th May 2015, 09:39

braad wrote:

It did cost a fair few pennies. I just keep reminding people that its more expensive to mod a bigger car so its easier to deal with. I was looking at selling my XR5T and buying a BF GT, there was a 10k changeover and then the supercharger kit i wanted was a further 10k. That money is now going to the mini.

Not sure on engine specs, i know it has an old isky cam & followers, has an unmodified 12g295 on it. Im thinking it might need a trip to Graham Russell to mod the head and set it up. The engine isnt something i have worried about yet, but i will see if i can get whatever specs my mate remembers.

Thats a great idea for your crank. Would be a great engine. Maybe chuck it on e85 whilst you're at it

So small bore engine? I thought you were going big bore?

benjamin
benjamin

Back to top Go down

Post  braad 28th May 2015, 04:32

benjamin wrote:
braad wrote:

Nah still big bore. Why do you say?
braad
braad

Back to top Go down

Post  benjamin 28th May 2015, 16:00

braad wrote:

Not sure on engine specs, i know it has an old isky cam & followers, has an unmodified 12g295 on it. Im thinking it might need a trip to Graham Russell to mod the head and set it up.

You said 12g295 that's a 998 head
benjamin
benjamin

Back to top Go down

Post  braad 29th May 2015, 04:55

benjamin wrote:
braad wrote:

Not sure on engine specs, i know it has an old isky cam & followers, has an unmodified 12g295 on it. Im thinking it might need a trip to Graham Russell to mod the head and set it up.

You said 12g295 that's a 998 head

Ah! Sorry, i meant 12g940 head Smile
braad
braad

Back to top Go down

Post  benjamin 4th June 2015, 03:10

Ah yep , so just naturally aspirated to start with ?

Who is doing your rear subframe ?
benjamin
benjamin

Back to top Go down

Post  braad 4th June 2015, 13:31

benjamin wrote:Ah yep , so just naturally aspirated to start with ?

Who is doing your rear subframe ?

yep, 1408 with a weber to get it going. I would absolutely love to turbo it down the track in some form. My XR5T has grown my appreciation for boost Very Happy

So initially i got the rear beam made up by a local metal fabricator....
Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 FvtLfq
Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 4tuikS

but it didnt fit properly... on the right side the bolts wouldnt fit...

Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 8bZozC

What happened was that i made an error, the spacing between the pairs of bolt holes was 1280mm, and i had somehow given them a measurement of 1276mm. They also cocked up by drilling one end perfectly but the other was (vertically) all over the place. It was never going to work!

So i went back the next day and we had a chat. Rather than making a new one that was overall 4mm longer, a decision was made to weld up the 4 holes and re-drill the two pairs 2mm closer to their respective end. That gave us the 4mm needed, and saved money, time and effort. The original holes were 8mm, but i deemed them too tight, so they have been re-drilled at 9mm. I picked it up and bolted it to the car this afternoon

the result is this -

Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 PKZVh9
Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 K1s2Iu

cant see it that well, but there's only 2mm of extra space left to the side of the beam. It's the same on the other side
Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 OSSeoB

I also got a delivery from Velo of seat mounts and one seat slide. I'm confused as how the slides meant to go together properly, but im sure it can be figured out without growing grey hairs

rail setup 1
Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 2OA6ST

rail setup2
Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 5dip7D

seat with bracket, it now doesnt rock!
Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 BBAaR6

braad
braad

Back to top Go down

Post  braad 6th June 2015, 17:28

I just ordered these wheels from force racing, but with black centres and polished outer.

They are 10x7, 3.5" inner and 3.5" outer rim

Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 NB3Dry

Will probably take a 3-4 weeks to be made and get here from the UK
braad
braad

Back to top Go down

Post  benjamin 8th June 2015, 02:04

braad wrote:I just ordered these wheels from force racing, but with black centres and polished outer.

Those wheels are very nice !!! Can I ask how much ?

With your subframe is there room under it for exhaust or are you going to notch like the top ?
benjamin
benjamin

Back to top Go down

Post  braad 8th June 2015, 06:57

benjamin wrote:
braad wrote:I just ordered these wheels from force racing, but with black centres and polished outer.

Those wheels are very nice !!! Can I ask how much ?

With your subframe is there room under it for exhaust or are you going to notch like the top ?

They ended up at $435/wheel delivered. Not bad when my old 17x8 simmons FR's cost $770 a wheel without shipping. At least, thats what i keep telling myself!

Yeah the beam will be notched to follow the curve of the trans/exhaust tunnel. I have sketched it out but i dont see it worth the money until the engineer has given the okay to continue. He could hate the beam idea so i dont want to spend unnecessary money in that event.
aiming for a high boot level so the exhaust can be tucked up out of the way
braad
braad

Back to top Go down

Post  braad 13th June 2015, 06:43

The engineer came over on wednesday afternoon. We went through everything we could think of. The engineer was super helpful, and gave us some great additions.

We have a revised design for the rear end beam (will now pick up the original rear most subframe mounts), but we can have a higher/flat floor, move the battery into the cab behind the passenger seat, create new seatbelt mounts for lapsash when we tie the main roll cage hoop into the b-pillar, have a turret brace in the rear, run a fuel cell with a swirl pot (for future EFI), have a type of side intrusion system in the doors, we have a design for the seat mounts thats solid and works, should be able to legally run 10x7 wheels, braided brake lines, dual circuit brake system with lines in the cab, run an AFR guage, and a weber bulkhead box...

All completely road legal!

So grabbed some sound deadener this morning. I wasnt expecting to buy any yet but it was 40% off Smile

Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 TxNeZU
braad
braad

Back to top Go down

Post  braad 24th June 2015, 15:27

John Leffler called this afternoon and gas some parts for me. I think they're my front hubs that i got him to rebuild for me, but its been about 2 years so im not exactly sure

A mate and i have ordered 2 sets of Dunlop tyres.
CLICK ME for 165/70R10 FORMULA-R D93J

Emailed Carl @ Force Racing last friday and he has received payment for wheels. I need to email him again this friday for an update. He seems to have been pretty busy the past few weeks (before i paid), so hopefully he has some good news.

Errrmmmm... i think thats it. Apart from me lacking any Motivation
braad
braad

Back to top Go down

Post  benjamin 26th June 2015, 03:06

braad wrote:John Leffler called this afternoon and gas some parts for me. I think they're my front hubs that i got him to rebuild for me, but its been about 2 years so im not exactly sure

Emailed Carl @ Force Racing last friday and he has received payment for wheels.  I need to email him again this friday for an update. He seems to have been pretty busy the past few weeks (before i paid), so hopefully he has some good news.

I bet when you receive the wheels it will increase you motivation !
benjamin
benjamin

Back to top Go down

Post  braad 26th June 2015, 11:02

benjamin wrote:
braad wrote:John Leffler called this afternoon and gas some parts for me. I think they're my front hubs that i got him to rebuild for me, but its been about 2 years so im not exactly sure

Emailed Carl @ Force Racing last friday and he has received payment for wheels.  I need to email him again this friday for an update. He seems to have been pretty busy the past few weeks (before i paid), so hopefully he has some good news.

I bet when you receive the wheels it will increase you motivation !

Speaking of motivation! Carl at Force Racing posted this pic of a wheel on their Facebook page overnight. Its exactly like what mine should be, and he mentioned they're for a far away land (australias pretty far from the UK!)

Even if not, my wheels are exactly this. Same offset, inner/outer dimensions, colour and style.
I have sent an email to confirm, but being from pommieland i could get a reply anytime up to about 2am (6pm UK time)

Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 EVTjDS

In other news im going to drop my weber and 12g940 head off to John Leffler. He has finished my hubs with new bearings and CV joints, ball joints, brake lines, new brake switch etc; but wants the driveshafts so he can put the CVs and everything together. IF i have driveshafts then i'll drop the head and weber off together. Otherwise Leffler will order them in

I have also heard of a new 200+hp supercharged lightweight mini coming up. Cant say anything more, but it should be special. It has the right people involved!
braad
braad

Back to top Go down

Post  braad 26th June 2015, 16:41

Tonight i was stuffing about with some of the steel, got more angles and lengths cut for the rear frame. The top length in the boot will be the first strut brace (required by the engineer), but i think it might change to allow fitment of a fuel tank. It also looks naff being so agricultural. We'll see!

Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 WpsChA

Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 GvYbr7

I figured i'd grab some photos of the motor. As far as i know, AEG312 means it's a thin walled block? but the flange for the gearbox is thick? They're Hardy Spicer joints arent they?

Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 AADwGg

Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 EGfbKQ

Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 NXcmnJ

Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 VC9RZ7

Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 IWx79K

Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 AbUGSR

I think the number on the gearbox casing says 22G1128. According to http://www.ozcooper.com.au/new_page_3.htm it's a Mark2 Cooper S gearbox?

Thoughts on 1400+cc on road - Page 2 9KcQ74
braad
braad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum